Thursday, July 3, 2014

The Dentist and a jar of pickles


It all started when I had to go to the dentist.  I began talking to my dental hygienist who had just finished canning some strawberry/pineapple jam.  She was truly waxing poetic about the process and I listened in fascination.  It occurred to me that Creative Child has always wanted to make homemade pickles, so I asked her about those.  And then we talked about canning jars, a canning pot and pickling spices.  I was so intrigued!  Well my dentist, who is a country boy from way back and an award winning barbecue genius, was passing by and he put his two cents in about the pickles.  I love people who get passionate about cooking!  His face just lit up when he described all the peppers in his garden.  Then he moved on down the hall and we continued our conversation about jam.  Two minutes later, he reappeared with........A JAR OF HOMEMADE  PICKLES!  He keeps them in the refrigerator at work.  Who knew!?   He sent them home for Creative Child to taste.  They were delicious and spicy.


  Well, I got more and more excited and left the dentist office with a list of spices and tips on jars, pots, salts, and sugars.  I am going to try pickles and jam.  Wish me luck.  Here is the pot!  If anyone has any tips, let me know, for as you know I am very much a City Mouse. 


 Oh, and no cavities!

No comments:

Post a Comment