Friday, December 27, 2013

Christmas musings......





As I unpacked the Christmas decorations this year, I was struck by the quantity of hand crafted and homemade beauties that have been given to me over the years.
















     







The wonderful Creche my oldest sister painted for me one year is still one of my favorite things....angels, kings, shepherds, Mary and Joseph and MOST importantly Baby Jesus......I always unpack this set with awe for my sister's attention to detail.



My wonderful mom.....who is now in her mid nineties....used to show up for Christmas brunch at my house with amazing sour cream cookies with maple frosting and something absolutely fabulous that she had worked on all autumn.  So many things were made by her loving hands and the incredible woodworking skills of my dad......they were a formidable team.....they made gifts like these for all the kids....eight in all!









Some of the treasures I unpacked were very old but ever new each Christmas.  These reindeer are part of my childhood and the mantle in the living room of my childhood home.......




Candle holders



















St. Lucy one year in honor of my daughter's middle name.....Lucette............


ornaments........



And of course, a Santa for each of my children dressed in their favorite color....my mom spoke fluent "child".........my kids understood her perfectly!




















All these things make my home so beautiful at Christmas.  Opening the boxes each year is like a surprise party!



No comments:

Post a Comment