Tuesday, August 12, 2014

A Semblance of Order

I have made a bit of headway in setting up my schoolroom this week.  In the midst of saying good-bye to all my college bound children (sniff), and putting away all the Patchwork Theater props and costumes, I managed to have some quiet moments upstairs to think about the coming school year at home.  
I have been gladdened anew by the fact that our family lives in a two family flat converted into a one family home.  How else would we ever have a fireplace in our bedroom without living at Downton Abbey?  I tell you, it's the next best thing! 
My school room is set up in the upstairs living room,so it has the perks of stained glass windows and a wonderful old fashioned mantle that spans the width of one wall.  It's a lovely thing.  I got the bookcases from a basement sale and, as luck would have it, they fit right under the windows!  I love when that happens.
Then I just add all my favorite home schooling memories from over the years and voila - a school room is born.  It is by no means state of the art, but it is cozy and comforting.  And those two words spell success for me.
I put my desk in front of the fireplace between the bookcases.  The lamp is new this year but everything else is a memory.

My amazingly talented friend Mary made this schoolroom sign for me with the name of our school and our motto cleverly tucked in with other of my favorite things in life.  Yes, alas, coffee is a major part of my life! She makes these  one of a kind pieces with things she finds around her house like cardboard, old music sheets (her husband is a music teacher), and scraps of material and wrapping paper.  The one word for her work is:  CHEER!  This is one of my favorite things.

The little blue box holds my rosary and the stein is from my dad's college days.  The flowers are from a wonderful tea that my good friend Theresa put on for my lovely daughter's sweet sixteenth birthday.  

My mom made this little school house over sixteen years ago when I first began to home school.  This is a treasure everyone in my house loves.  And whenever any child sees it they inevitably say: "Ohhh"

The pencil holder Eldest Child (now 23) made for me in Kindergarten.  It still makes me giggle whenever I look at it.  

I LOVE bookends don't you.  These hearts are so fun.  I found them at T.J. Maxx. If you go there regularly they have some amazing treasures for really cheap.  

Boxes from JoAnn's Fabrics.  They hold all my Latin cards, math flash cards, etc.  Very fun!

These were made by my friend Leslie P. who is absolutely obsessed with Lily Pulitzer and bling.  Leslie made costumes for my plays for many years and we were such creative partners in crime together.  I would say, "Can you do this?  For absolutely no money?" And she would cheerfully say, "Oh Sure!"  And she always did.  Someday I will post the wardrobe door she made for my play:  The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe.  She's a creative genius. 

The Good Shepherd that presides over the school day.


This shawl is the ONLY thing I have ever crocheted in my entire life.  

At a Scottish festival once, we met the cutest older couple selling these incredible crosses.  They would travel around together to festivals and art shows and sit and talk about interesting things and meet a lot of different people.  I really wanted to be like them when I got older.  This reminds me of that.
So, there you have it.  The beginnings of order in the School Room.  I wish you all well with your own schooling this year.  I think I can smell autumn coming.............can you?

No comments:

Post a Comment