Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Ten Favorite Books of 2014

Joining up with TEN ON TUESDAY today and listing my ten favorite books read in 2014.  Here goes:


1.  Persuasion...........Jane Austen
     This heroine is slightly different than the others.  But I love her quiet waiting and hoping. Elinor from Sense and Sensibility will always be my favorite, but Anne is a close second.

2.  Doomsday Book.........Connie Willis
     Tony is a Sci-Fi guy.  My sons have all taken after him as well. He handed me this book and assured me I would like it even though I am not a Sci-Fi gal.  He was correct!  I couldn't put it down. She is a great writer.

3.  To Kill A Mockingbird........Harper Lee
      One can only wish that Atticus Finch was a real person.  This story is near perfection in every way.

4.  A Woman Wrapped in Silence.......John Lynch
      A piece of spiritual beauty and light.  I re-read this every year and find something new each time.

5.  The Hidden Power of Kindness...........Lawrence Lovasik
     One of those wonderful "ouch" books.  A very concrete way to examine your conscience. 

6.  The Life and Letters of Mother Janet Stuart...Monahan
      The story of Mother Janet Stuart, the Mother General of the Sisters of the Sacred heart at the turn of the Century.  She is a soul mate. 

7.  O Pioneer........Willa Cather
      Amazing writer...amazing story. This is a very truthful telling of the settling of the US. It really made me want to visit Nebraska, too.

8.  Farmer Boy......Laura Ingalls Wilder
     This book has the BEST description of FOOD and comfortable rooms that I have ever read. She is a master storyteller.  I will always love this book.

9.  William Shakespeare's Star Wars:  Verily, A New Hope... Ian
      Deschler
    Clever, hilarious, but also very touching in places.  I loved it so much, I had my high school drama kids put it on as a play.

10. Letters From Father Christmas..........J.R.R. Tolkien
       My kids love this book!!!!



And a bonus:  The one favorite book of each of my children and my husband.


Tony:  The Hall of Uselessness...........Simon Leys

Eldest Child:     Blow Back................Chalmers Johnson

Thoughtful Child:  War and Peace............Tolstoy

Lovely Daughter:  Last of the Mohicans.........Fennimore Cooper

Creative Child:  The Cardinal...........Robinson

Dancing Child:   The Percy Jackson Series........Riordan

Active Child:      Hates to Read, but loves Basketball stories. 

Youngest Child:  Have Spacesuit, Will Travel.....Robert Heinlein


      

6 comments:

  1. What a varied and interesting list you put together, and I love the bonus family favorites, too! I have a reading friend who has been urging me to read The Doomsday Book for many years. Like you, I'm not a sci-fi reader so I've always resisted it. Based on your interesting recommendation I may have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know how you like it! It stayed with me a long time afterward.

      Delete
  2. If I had to choose just one book to own and read it would be To Kill a Mockingbird. I fell in love with this book when I was 9 years old and read it at least once a year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh so good, isn't it? Thanks for stopping by, Wendy!

      Delete
  3. I must put To Kill a Mockingbird high on my list this coming year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Paula - Let me know your thoughts when you finish it!

      Delete